Saturday, October 16, 2010

Pumpkin Day 2010

Well sorry for the long delay but I have returned. Those who have been reading my blog know I don't usually upload more than a few pictures. Today is going to be a little different, while there are only a few pictures of me (sad I know), this blog is primarily photographs. When we moved from Salt Lake City to Farmington my father found out that our new house had quite a large field next to the house which gave him an idea. So he decided to plant a crop of pumpkins in order to sell them in October, and as laughable as that idea was to me, it worked out pretty well.




These first two shots are just some artistic shots taken by Kim

This picture was taken from the back of the pumpkin patch. Thats our house on the left of the shot. It was nearly impossible to get a picture of the whole patch, but this one was pretty good. My dad planted about 100 plants which produced around 150 pumkins. Who knew he had it in him?



Here is the old man hard at work. Spent about four hours harvesting about half of the field. After the pumpkins were picked he washed and weighed each one. Mom set the prices at three, four, and five dollars depending on the size and quality.




I decided to supervise the operation. He would wheel me out to the field and I would point to the pumpkins to make sure he didn't miss any. Plus it didn't look like dad was working as hard as he could have been, and the wheel-barrow ride was quite enjoyable.




Picture of me with the cash crop. Most of the pumpkins were about the size of a soccer ball and weighed between 10 and 15 pounds. Notice the white bathroom scale in the picture? Thats how dad would measure the weight of the pumpkins, he would stand on the scale with a pumpkin, then subtract his own body weight from the total to get the weight of each one. At first I thought the pumpkins scaled in at 40+ pounds, but then I realized Dad has probably put on a few LB's.



This is the sign Mom made for the corner of our yard. Contrary to what the sign says, we do have more than one for sale.



This is my very own personal pumpkin. Mom carved my name into a pumpkin when it was little and as the pumpkin grew, so did the scar. Even though her grammar is a little off, she is pretty dang awesome.















3 Comments:

At October 17, 2010 at 9:37 PM , Blogger Reba said...

Carly, I love your updates. Your pumpkin patch is awesome! I want one! If I lived close, I'd stop by and buy a whole potful of 'em.

 
At October 19, 2010 at 10:02 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVE pumpkin time!! i know your business is thriving, but can you save some and invite me to a pumpkin carving fest before halloween???

 
At October 28, 2010 at 6:28 PM , Blogger Sugarlene said...

So...did you sell them all? Did you make enough you and Andrew could retire? HA! Beautiful pumpkins. Oh, and did you share the profit with your dad? HMMM!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home